While I loved our five days in Playa Del Carmen, there are a few things I’d do differently next time. Here’s my list:
- Use ADO for airport transfers. Cheap, comfortable and reliable.
- Stay at a hotel with a pool. Because of the seaweed issue we couldn’t lie on the beach and it would have been nice to lie poolside and relax a bit.
- Find a map of Playa Del Carmen! We struggled to find a map and as a result there was a lot we didn’t see or explore.
- Don’t use Easy Tours unless you are willing to wait for long periods of time and have an average experience. We did the rest of our tours on our own and it was great.
- I would hire a jeep in Cozumel and explore. This is one that I really wish I had done. The island is small enough to drive around in a day with a number of stops. Cabs will try rip you off left, right and centre.
- I’d love to have gone fishing. Only tours I could find were chartered and very expensive.
- Eat more off the beaten path. It’s cheaper, the food is more traditional and the locals love having the gringos to visit.
- Learn more Spanish!